1 de janeiro de 2006

E.M.Forster, por Vasco
E. M. Forster (1879-1970)


Miss Abbott, don't worry over me. Some people are born not to do things. I'm one of them; I never did anything at school or at the Bar. [...] I never expect anything to happen now, and so I am never disappointed. You would be surprised to know what my great events are. Going to the theatre yesterday, talking to you now -- I don't suppose I shall ever meet anything greater. I seem fated to pass through the world without colliding with it or moving it -- and I'm sure I can't tell you whether the fate's good or evil. I don't die -- I don't fall in love. And if other people die or fall in love they always do it when I'm just not there. You are quite right; life to me is just a spectacle, which -- thank God, and thank Italy, and thank you -- is now more beautiful and heartening than it has ever been before.

E. M. Forster, Where Angels Fear to Tread
.

Sem comentários: